And what does the Lord require of you? To seek justice and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8
First Presbyterian Church in Iowa City, Iowa is a very active church locally, nationally, and internationally in a variety of mission and social justice work. As Christians, we believe God is calling us to reach out to “the least of these” in ways that will exhibit the love of Christ.
The following is a list with brief descriptions of some of our local mission and justice work. For more information or to participate in any of these opportunities, please contact the agency listed or feel free to contact us anytime.
- Consultation of Religious Communities – an ecumenical group which coordinates efforts to address various needs in our community. Our church is represented with a member on their board and with contributions to their Common Fund as well as to the following special projects:
- To Gather Together – Our volunteers publicize, help organize, and distribute school clothing and supplies.
- Winter Clothing Distribution – Our volunteers donate items (coats, sweaters, and other cold weather clothing needs), set up and help distribute the collections.
- Christmas Gifts for Parents – Our volunteers donate items from which children can “shop” for gifts for their parents. Volunteers also assist the children in shopping.
- Crisis Center – a local agency addressing various needs of persons in the community who are in crisis. FPC involvement includes financial support, volunteer support as needed/requested and an on-going collection of needed items for their food bank.
- DVIP (Domestic Violence Intervention Program) – includes a shelter and support for women and children who are victims of domestic violence. FPC supports DVIP with annual contributions as well as volunteer support from members.
- Ecumenical Housing Corporation – a group of low income apartments in downtown Iowa City. Our congregation has a representative to the Ecumenical Towers Board, publicizes their needs as they arise and periodically supports them with financial contributions.
- Free Lunch Program – a free meal available six days a week in downtown Iowa City. Our church gives some financial support to the overall program and is responsible to prepare and serve a meal every 3rd Thursday by donating both food and manpower.
- Habitat for Humanity (Iowa City) – is a local branch of the broader national agency whereby houses are built by local volunteers and sold at cost to families who qualify as needing this sort of assistance. Our church sponsored the building of two homes, gave ongoing support to some of the owner families and continues to supply volunteer builders to other houses built in the area.
- Home Ties Preschool – is a day care center for young children of persons (many who are in the Homeless Shelter) who are working to find jobs and get their lives back on track. Our church gives financial support to the center for various needs such as a playhouse, other educational equipment and art supplies.
- Iowa City Hospice – is a local part of the greater Hospice effort across the country. Several members support this program with their time and talent as well as monetary support.
- Shelter House – is a citywide effort to offer short term housing to persons in crisis. We have supported them financially from Mission Funds and we serve as a collection point for specifically requested items.
- Table to Table – is a food reclamation agency whereby route volunteers pick up food from various stores about town and distribute it to agencies that can use it. FPC donates money, as well as leftover food from various church events, members volunteer in many capacities for the program and the church bought a van for them to use in their food collections.
Nationally and Internationally
The following is a list with brief descriptions of some of our national and international mission and justice work. For more information or to participate in any of these opportunities, please contact us anytime.
- Christian Girls School in Pasrur Pakistan – our church built a dormitory on Pasrur School campus for impoverished girls from nearby rural villages. Each year, we work to find sponsors for scholarships for 100 girls to attend the boarding school. By providing these girls with an education, we impact not only the girls but their families and communities as well. Read more to find out how to help.
- CROP Walk – is a nationwide effort to raise money to help feed the hungry. Our church takes an active role in raising awareness of these needs while many of our members generously support those who walk with the First Presbyterian Team, raising significant amounts of money.
- Denominational Offerings – opportunities for “extra mile giving” to support established programs of the larger Presbyterian Church. Some offerings also include a local recipient component chosen by the Mission Council.
- Mission Trips – work trips and/or educational trips. Both youth and adults have participated in several trips in this country. There have also been several trips to Pakistan for our assistance with the Pasrur Christian Girls School.
- Su Casa de Esperanza – is a large Family Center in southern Texas. Individual members donate requested items and our church sends financial support.
Wheels for the World – is a national organization that refurbishes used wheel chairs for use by those in this country and abroad who have need of them. Some members are actively involved as volunteers interpreting the needs of the organization to others and FPC is also a financial supporter.